Our online media kit offers media professionals the latest information about the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), including staff biographies, history, annual reports and our position and influence in industry-related public policy initiatives. For more information about SWE, please email Anna Souhrada, or call 630-305-0003 ext.385 and ask for Anna.
SWE's Background and Mission
SWE was established in 1950 and celebrated its 65th anniversary in 2015 and has over 40,000 members across the globe. SWE is the world’s largest advocate for all women in engineering and technology, offering a vast pool of resources to nurture personal and professional development. SWE is the driving force that establishes engineering as a highly desirable career for women through an array of training and development programs, networking opportunities, scholarships, outreach and advocacy activities.
SWE mission is to:
- Stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders
- Expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life
- Demonstrate the value of diversity
- SWE champions the value of diversity by being the catalyst for change.
- SWE inspires women to achieve their full potential as engineers and leaders.
- SWE will be there for women as they seek to be their authentic selves in all stages of their careers and lives.
- SWE is a resource to young girls and collegiates exploring future careers in engineering and technology.
Recent News Releases
What: The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) will host Invent it. Build It. during WE19 Nov. 9, 2019 in Anaheim, Calif. Anaheim-area attendees will spend the morning at the STEM EXPO, where they can learn about local engineering clubs, engineering camps, competitions, after-school programs, scholarships and more. In the afternoon, Invent it. Build it. is Read more…
What: The Society of Women Engineers will host its Fourth Annual State of Women in Engineering panel discussion at WE19–the world’s largest conference and career fair for women engineers– in Anaheim, Calif. The State of Women in Engineering will provide clarity to the wealth of data that is available and shed light on some of Read more…
CHICAGO (Oct. 1, 2019) – Anaheim sets the stage this year for the largest conference and career fair for women engineers. The Society of Women Engineers’ WE19 will attract thousands of women engineers to the Anaheim Convention Center Nov. 7-9, 2019. Only 13 percent of employed engineers are women; WE19 provides a platform for this Read more…
CHICAGO (Oct. 1, 2019) –Fleming Island, Fla.-resident and Fleming Island High School student Kaitlyn Ludlam has been honored with the SWENext Global Innovator Award for demonstrating a commitment to bettering the lives of women in STEM, volunteering in outreach initiatives, and pursuing a career in engineering. Ludlam will be honored alongside her peers at a Read more…
CHICAGO – Vice President and Chief Engineer for Operations at Spirit AeroSystems, Cindy Hoover, will officially accept the title of president of the largest non-profit advocate for women in engineering, the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Hoover will be inaugurated with the FY20 Board of Directors and Board of Trustees at a reception on Thursday, Read more…
SWE in the News
WE19 and Beyond
WE19 is the world’s largest conference and career fair for women in engineering and technology, connecting thousands of people who share an engineering outlook.
Countdown to WE20
WE Local is a localized version of the national conference, allowing access to professional development and networking right in your backyard. WE Local will attract an audience of women at all stages of their engineering careers – from the collegiate level and upwards. WE Local features networking opportunities, outstanding professional development, a career fair and inspiration.
- WE Local San Diego: January 31-February 1, 2020
- WE Local Salt Lake City: February 7-8, 2020
- WE Local Raleigh: February 21-22, 2020
- WE Local Buffalo: March 27-28, 2020
- WE Local India, Bengaluru: April 2-3, 2020
- WE Local Des Moines: April 17-18, 2020
- WE Local Europe, London: May 27-29, 2020
- WE20 in New Orleans, LA: November 5-7, 2020