SWE advocates for the advancement of women engineers at all stages of their careers. The Collegiate Leadership Institute’s overarching goal is to equip collegiate members with the skills, knowledge, and leadership abilities that will enable them to become global leaders in their engineering and technology careers and serve as a future pipeline for leaders in the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Through virtual year-round programming, CLI aims to motivate, equip, and support SWE collegiate members to successfully transition to the engineering workforce by providing valuable learning opportunities in order to accelerate the success of students entering the engineering and technology workforce.
What are the goals of the CLI?
The Institute provides professional development for college students that fulfills the following program outcomes:
- Build self-confidence and resilience in the face of adversity in the workplace.
- Help students communicate their value for career and educational purposes.
- Strengthen listening skills, feedback skills, and problem-solving skills; hone their ability to influence others and work in teams.
- Recognize trends and emerging complex social issues that challenge leaders in the business and professional world.
- Identify and analyze strengths and limitations of current leadership styles. Develop an appreciation for the advantages of leadership styles different from their own.
- Provide opportunities to network with peers, role models, and industry professionals. Engage with experienced mentors and leadership subject-matter-experts (SME).
Learning Format of the CLI
The core CLI program is offered in a virtual cohort format from August to March, including the following program components:
- Ongoing live virtual professional development sessions from industry and leadership experts
- Access the SWE Mentoring Platform for ongoing mentoring
- Access to curated sessions on leadership and career development through Advance
- Various tools to achieve leadership positions
Who Can Participate in the CLI?
The CLI is open to undergraduate students who:
- Are pursuing a STEM degree.
- Are current members of SWE in good standing.
- Have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
This project is based upon work partially supported by the generosity of Danaher Foundation, ARDC, Keysight Technologies and General Motors.