Mentoring is one of the SWE core values. SWE members can take advantage of many mentoring opportunities at conferences and through various programs. Keep reading to find out how you can get involved!
Sign up for the SWE Mentor Network
The SWE Mentor Network is a private network for only SWE members that helps facilitate mentoring relationships. SWE members at all levels are able to offer mentoring services, receive mentoring, or even act as both a mentor and mentee.
There’s a few different ways to sign up:
- Log in to the SWE member portal, select ‘More’ from the top menu, and then click on ‘Mentor Sign-up’ or ‘Mentee Sign-up.’ If you are interested in both roles, please sign up as a mentor. You will be able to accept bookings from mentees, as well as schedule mentoring sessions with other mentors.
- Keep an eye out for signup links in SWE’s weekly Monday newsletter.
- Or reach out to email@example.com so we can verify your SWE membership and send you an invite!
Check out the calendar for FY23 (7/1/22-6/30/23)
Please note that these are suggested themes meant to encourage discussion around these topics, but you are not required to stick to the theme to participate.
- July 25 – 31, 2022: Conversation Theme: SWE Member Networking & Mentoring
- September 12 – 23, 2022: Conversation Theme: Exploring Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging (DEI&B)
- October 3 – 14, 2022: Conversation Theme: Get Ready for WE22
- December 5 – 9, 2022: Conversation Theme: SWE Member Networking & Mentoring
- January 23 – February 3, 2023: Conversation Theme: SWE Around the World
- March 6 – 17, 2023: Conversation Theme: SWE Member Networking & Mentoring
- April 17 – 28, 2023: Conversation Theme: Community College & Beyond
- May 29 – June 9, 2023: Conversation Theme: SWE Member Networking & Mentoring
Why did you choose to become a mentor?
Join the Mentoring Facilitation Work Group (MFWG)
The Mentoring Facilitation Work Group (MFWG) is part of the Membership Committee. This group is open to all SWE members interested in mentoring resources. Our intent is to provide a platform for members to engage in supportive discussion, networking, promote SWE mentorship initiatives, events and content.
Tools & Resources from the MFWG
- For a list of mentoring groups you can participate in as a SWE member, such as GradSWE, click here. Want us to add your group? Submit this form!
- Join the SWE Mentoring Facebook group to connect with other SWE mentors and mentees and learn about SWE mentoring programs. Please note this is a closed group, so SWE members are encouraged to actively participate and treat it a safe space to mentor each other and share best practices.
- Consider using this mentorship contract to set expectations in your mentoring relationship.
- Check out Ways to Find Mentors for other ideas!
Contact the Mentoring Facilitation Work Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More SWE Mentoring Resources
- Attract Advocacy of Influential Sponsors
- Best Practices for Being a Super Mentor
- Best Practices for Finding and Keeping a Mentor
- Building Rapport: The Lost Art and Science of Effective Workplace Relationship
- Intersectionality and Women of Color in the Engineering Workplace
- Latina Engineers: Changing What Engineers Look Like
- Learning to Love Criticism and Navigate Feedback
- Modern Networking in the Social Age
- Power of Mentoring
- Role Models Matter 101 – Who Are Role Models and Why Do They Matter
- 3 Ways to Earn the Backing of Influential Career Advocates
- Building a Career Path as an Engineer
- Carina Hahn on Her Life as Both Mentor & Mentee
- Celebrating National Mentoring Month!
- Engineer Stays on Course With Help From Mentors
- Expanding Women’s Influence on STEM
- Getting Girls into Robotics
- How I Went From a Single Mom to an Engineer: Living the American Dream
- How to Find a Mentor on the SWE Mentor Network
- It’s Time to Redefine Mentorship as Women in STEM
- Mentoring Matters: My Reflections on Being a SWE Speed Networking Mentor
- Mentorship, Forging Your Own Path and Other Top Advice for Women Engineers
- Physicist Olivia Castellini Talks About Mentoring
- SWE Member Gretchen Hein on Why She Mentors
- SWE Members Share Their Experiences on the SWE Mentor Network
- SWE Stories: Tales from the Archives – Mentoring Pt. 1
- SWE Stories: Tales from the Archives – Mentoring Pt. 2
- SWEet Wisdom: How Can a Student Mentor Other Women in STEM?
- SWEet Wisdom: How do Mentors Make a Difference?
- The Mentoring Journey of a SWE Global Affiliate Member
- Why a Best Friend at Work Makes Us More Successful
- Episode 58: Mentoring in the Month of January
- Episode 108: The Benefits of Mentorship with Cathy Meyn
- Episode 112: “Good Guys” Supporting Women in the STEM Workplace
- Episode 114: National Mentoring Month Celebration with Mentor Dr. Mauricio Cabrera-Ríos
- Episode 115: Men as Diversity Partners: Ken Fulmer, President & CEO of Urban Engineer
- Episode 119: Louvere Walker-Hannon on Getting More Black Women Involved in STEM
- Episode 148: How Stephanie Hill’s Journey Led to the Advancement of STEM Education
- What Motivates Men to Champion Gender Diversity?
- The Role of Culture and Women’s Persistence in Engineering: A Bi-Continent Roundtable Discussion
- Understanding the Early Career Experiences of Women of Color
- Then and Now: Women Engineers’ Perspectives on Changes and Challenges in the Field Since the 1970s
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.