One of SWE’s core values is mutual support, meaning that the organization fosters mentoring and the development of professional and personal networks. SWE members can take advantage of mentoring opportunities at conferences and through the SWE Mentor Network and Mentoring Committee. Get involved today!
Sign up for the SWE Mentor Network
The SWE Mentor Network is an exclusive members-only community for the facilitation of mentoring conversations. As a SWE member, you can offer mentoring services, receive mentoring ― or even act as both a mentor and mentee. Check out the FAQ page to learn more!
Here’s how you can sign up:
- Log in to the SWE member portal.
- Select ‘More’ from the top menu and click on ‘Mentor Sign-up’ or ‘Mentee Sign-up.’ Please note you will only see these options if you have an active paid SWE membership. If you are interested in being a mentor and mentee, please sign up as a mentor, which will allow you to accept bookings from mentees and schedule mentoring sessions with other mentors.
You can also keep an eye out for sign-up links in SWE’s weekly member newsletter or reach out to email@example.com so we can verify your SWE membership and send you an invite!
Check out the calendar for FY24 (July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024)
All cohorts are open for general mentoring and networking among SWE members, with some cohorts focusing on specific SWE communities or conversation topics alongside general mentoring, as indicated below.
The themes are only suggested as a prompt to guide the conversation, focus on an aspect of career development and networking, or call in a specific group within the SWE community. You are not required to commit to the theme to participate in mentoring conversations during a themed cohort.
July 17 – 23, 2023: General Mentoring & Networking
August 21 – September 1, 2023: Embracing Non-Traditional Paths
October 9 – 20, 2023: Get Ready for WE23
December 4 – 10, 2023: General Mentoring & Networking
January 22 – February 2, 2024: Networking with Affinity Groups
March 11- 22, 2024: General Mentoring & Networking
April 22 – May 3, 2024: Community College & Beyond
June 10 – 28, 2024: General Mentoring & Networking
Why did you choose to become a mentor?
Join the Mentoring Committee
The Mentoring Committee is open to all SWE members interested in mentoring resources. Our intent is to provide a platform for members to engage in supportive discussion, networking, promote SWE mentorship initiatives, events and content.
Mentoring Committee Leadership
Tools & Resources from the Mentoring Committee
- For a list of mentoring groups you can participate in as a SWE member, such as GradSWE, click here. Want us to add your group? Submit this form!
- Consider using this mentorship contract to set expectations in your mentoring relationship.
- Check out Ways to Find Mentors for other ideas!
Connect with the Mentoring Committee
- Join the SWE Mentoring Facebook group to connect with other SWE mentors and mentees and learn about SWE mentoring programs. Please note this is a closed group, so SWE members are encouraged to actively participate and treat it a safe space to mentor each other and share best practices.
- Follow the Mentoring Committee on Instagram to stay up to date on events.
- Reach out through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More SWE Mentoring Resources
- Attract Advocacy of Influential Sponsors
- Best Practices for Being a Super Mentor
- Best Practices for Finding and Keeping a Mentor
- Building Rapport: The Lost Art and Science of Effective Workplace Relationship
- Intersectionality and Women of Color in the Engineering Workplace
- Latina Engineers: Changing What Engineers Look Like
- Learning to Love Criticism and Navigate Feedback
- Modern Networking in the Social Age
- Power of Mentoring
- Role Models Matter 101 – Who Are Role Models and Why Do They Matter
- 3 Ways to Earn the Backing of Influential Career Advocates
- Building a Career Path as an Engineer
- Carina Hahn on Her Life as Both Mentor & Mentee
- Celebrating National Mentoring Month!
- Changing the World, One Person at a Time – Equinix Metal Mentoring
- Engineer Stays on Course With Help From Mentors
- Expanding Women’s Influence on STEM
- Getting Girls into Robotics
- How I Went From a Single Mom to an Engineer: Living the American Dream
- How to Find a Mentor on the SWE Mentor Network
- It’s Time to Redefine Mentorship as Women in STEM
- Mentoring Around the World: What to Expect, What to Do
- Mentoring Matters: My Reflections on Being a SWE Speed Networking Mentor
- Mentorship, Forging Your Own Path and Other Top Advice for Women Engineers
- Nurturing the next generation of STEM Professionals: Speed Mentoring at its best
- Physicist Olivia Castellini Talks About Mentoring
- SWE Member Gretchen Hein on Why She Mentors
- SWE Members Share Their Experiences on the SWE Mentor Network
- SWE Stories: Tales from the Archives – Mentoring Pt. 1
- SWE Stories: Tales from the Archives – Mentoring Pt. 2
- SWEet Wisdom: How Can a Student Mentor Other Women in STEM?
- SWEet Wisdom: How do Mentors Make a Difference?
- The Mentoring Journey of a SWE Global Affiliate Member
- Why a Best Friend at Work Makes Us More Successful
- Episode 58: Mentoring in the Month of January
- Episode 108: The Benefits of Mentorship with Cathy Meyn
- Episode 112: “Good Guys” Supporting Women in the STEM Workplace
- Episode 114: National Mentoring Month Celebration with Mentor Dr. Mauricio Cabrera-Ríos
- Episode 115: Men as Diversity Partners: Ken Fulmer, President & CEO of Urban Engineer
- Episode 119: Louvere Walker-Hannon on Getting More Black Women Involved in STEM
- Episode 148: How Stephanie Hill’s Journey Led to the Advancement of STEM Education
- What Motivates Men to Champion Gender Diversity?
- The Role of Culture and Women’s Persistence in Engineering: A Bi-Continent Roundtable Discussion
- Understanding the Early Career Experiences of Women of Color
- Then and Now: Women Engineers’ Perspectives on Changes and Challenges in the Field Since the 1970s
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.