Program Development Grants
Micro-grants are available to support the strategic activities of SWE Organizations (Sections, MALs, Society Committees, or Affiliates). Basic guidelines are below:
- Grant Amounts & Deadlines: All grant requests must be at least $250 and $5,000 will be considered in four application cycles with deadlines on the following dates: August 15, 2019, October 1, 2019, January 1, 2020, and February 15, 2020.
- Event Timing: Grants cannot be submitted during an event or after an event has occurred. If your event has taken place, do not submit a request for PDG funding.
- Good Standing with SWE: For PDG funding, you must submit a grant through an active and in good standing SWE Organization. To determine if your SWE Organization is in good standing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Budget and Financial Verification: Ensure your SWE Organization treasurer is prepared to verify your request (see Treasurer Verification).
- SWE Membership: Individuals submitting requests for PDG funding must be an active SWE member.
- Update Your Address or Banking Information with SWE-HQ: SWE-HQ distributes electronic payments only through Concur. The address and/or bank account your SWE Organization has in Concur will be used to send your payment. Payments will not be sent to individuals or secondary accounts. To update or sign your SWE organization up for electronic payments, please email it to email@example.com.
PDG Application & Report Deadlines
Ensure you have enough time to submit your application: Your event must occur 45 days after the deadline you are applying to (if you apply for the August 15 deadline, your event must take place after September 30, etc.).
Application Budget: All applications must use the FY20 PDG Budget Form, which can be found here FY20 PDG Budget Proposal Form.
FY20 APPLICATION DEADLINES:
- Apply for the August 15, 2019 Deadline (for programs after 9/30/19): CLOSED
- Apply for the October 1, 2019 Deadline (for programs after 12/4/2019): https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/60749-Society-Of-Women-Engineers
- Apply for the January 1, 2020 Deadline (for programs after 2/15/20): https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/60750-Society-Of-Women-Engineers. (Please note this submission date falls on a holiday during which SWE HQ is closed.)
- Apply for the March 1, 2020 Deadline (for programs after 4/15/20): https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/60751-Society-Of-Women-Engineers
FY20 REPORT DEADLINES
You must submit a report within 30 days after your funded project is complete. For FY20, reports are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Download the budget form for FY20 Budget Reports here.
- Submit FY20 Program Reports Here: https://smr.to/p59941
- Submit FY19 Program Reports Here:https://goo.gl/4nhh6J
- Additional K-12 Outreach Report: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sweoutreachmetrictool (Submit only for funded programs for K-12 students)
Check out the FY20 PDG FAQ for answers to common questions and contact information for key PDG points of contact.
If, after reading through this page and the FAQs below, you still have questions regarding funding please contact the committee chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome future PDG Committee Members. If you want to be more involved in the committee (approximately 15+ hours per year), please also email email@example.com.
Your SWE organization must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for PDG Funding:
- The proposal must be sponsored by a SWE organization.
(SWE organization’s include: Section, Region, MALs, Society Committee, or Affiliate. SWENext members must obtain the sponsorship of one of the above mentioned organizational units.)
- The event must be SWE or SWE-Affiliate led.
(For the vast majority of applicants, this means that your local SWE section must be leading this event. PDG Funding cannot be used for events run by an individual or organization not affiliated with the Society.)
- The SWE organization requesting funds must be in good standing with the Society.
Organizations should have submitted their annual report to SWE Headquarters at the close of the last fiscal year (as required). Download EZ Financial Form. The President and Treasurer or fiscal authority must be paid members of SWE. If you have questions about your organization’s standing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The proposal must be submitted by an active SWE member and project must be managed by a currently paid SWE member.
- Proposals from Society Committees must include a copy of Board Meeting Minutes or Notes clearly stating approval by the Board of Directors.
- SWE organizations requesting funds may have no more than three outstanding reports, deliverables, or unreturned unused funds totaling up to $15,000, for projects previously funded by a Program Development Grant.
In order for your application to be complete, your SWE Organization treasurer must complete a verification form to do the following:
- Verify that your SWE Organization is in good standing with SWE-HQ.
- Provide SWE Organization financial information.
- Verify and provide the mailing address for PDG Grant payment for SWE Organization.
- Verify the SWE Organization does not have any outstanding grants or too many open PDG Grants (more than three active PDG Grants).
You will need to provide the name and email address of your current SWE Organization treasurer during application. Without their verification, your request will be incomplete and will not be considered.
SWE Organizations must be in good standing with SWE-HQ. If you or your treasurer are unsure if your SWE Organization is in good standing with SWE, please contact email@example.com.
SWE organizations must demonstrate sound fiscal stewardship and responsibility in the use of funds to qualify for funding from the SWE Program Development Grant (PDG) Committee. The SWE PDG places a priority on requests where there is a high financial need.
To demonstrate financial responsibility, the PDG Committee requires evidence that all entities (sections, MAL, affiliates, etc.) affiliated with SWE have submitted a fiscal report (the EZ Form) to SWE at the beginning of each fiscal year (fiscal year start date is July 1). SWE's Finance Committee provides a copy of this form to all entities affiliated with SWE on an annual basis.
In order for your application to be reviewed and funded by the PDG Committee, you must submit the EZ Form filed by your SWE organization's most recent fiscal year with your PDG application. Please work with your organization's treasurer to provide the requested fields below as shown in that report. Each year, the demand for funding from the PDG Committee far exceeds the funds available to distribute.
This calculation allows the PDG Committee to understand how much funding your SWE organization has in reserves or if it is operating with a deficit.
- HIGH NEED CRITERIA: If your net assets are between 50 percent and 200 percent of your expenses, your request will receive a High Need score. For example: If your expenses are $100,000 (on line 13) and your estimated net assets are between $50,000 or $200,000 then your request is High Need.
- MEDIUM NEED CRITERIA: If your net assets are below 50 percent of your expenses, the request will be awarded a Medium Need score. This demonstrates less than exemplary fiscal stewardship as it indicates the organization does not have enough in reserves to cover operating expenses in the case of no or limited income. For example: If your expenses are $100,000 (on line 13) and your estimated net assets are $49,999 or below then your request is Medium Need.
- LOW NEED CRITERIA: If your assets are between 200 percent and 300 percent of your expenses, the request will be awarded a Low Need score. This demonstrates another case of less-than-exemplary fiscal stewardship for a non-profit: having a larger reserve (without earmarked future large expenses such as growing endowed scholarships, etc.) For example: If your expenses are $100,000 (on line 13) and your estimated net assets are $200,001 to $300,000 then your request is Low Need.
- FURTHER REVIEW CRITERIA: If your expenses are greater than your income and assets or your assets are over 300 percent of your expenses, then your request will receive a zero score we will request your section pay for at least half of the total budget cost for your project. Your request may also be ineligible. In both cases, under PDG guidelines, the organization is demonstrating significantly less-than-exemplary fiscal stewardship of SWE funds. For example: If your expenses are $100,000 (on line 13) and your estimated net assets and income are in negative digits or your assets are over $300,001 then your request will be flagged.
Direct questions regarding fiscal stewardship and expected practices for SWE organizations to the Finance Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org. Direct questions concerning needs scoring to the PDG Committee Chair at email@example.com. Please answer the questions below based on the data from your organization's most recently EZ Form filed with SWE-HQ .