SWE Public Policy initiatives support the Society’s mission by engaging our members in policy issues that impact the advancement of women in engineering. Our goals are to provide SWE members with timely information and tools to enhance their understanding of the issues and encourage volunteer participation at the federal level. We also aim to educate other professional societies and policy makers on how to apply Title IX to STEM fields.
Take Action & Additional Resources
Get Text Alerts: Stay informed about SWE Public Policy through text alerts. Text SWE Public Policy to 56512 to sign-up.
SWE Federal Bill Tracker
SWE concentrates on the following four areas related to public policy:
Strengthening America’s schools as presented in SWE’s general position statement, "Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education and the Need for a Technologically Literate Workforce".
How Title IX can be applied to STEM fields as presented in SWE’s general position statement, "The Application of Title IX to the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Fields".
- Resource: How to Report Sexual Harassment under Title IX, U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Strengthen the STEM workforce by ensuring equal opportunity for women in STEM education and careers as stated in SWE's general position statement, "SWE General Position Statement on Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action".
Women need to be able to integrate the various aspects of their lives to be successful on their own terms, for both career and family, as presented in SWE’s general position statement, "The Need for Work & Life Integration Policies to Retain Women in STEM".
State Level Resources
SWE is pleased to link some external resources for advocacy at the state level:
- State Policy and Advocacy Resources from the STEM Education Coalition
- STEM Vital Signs (STEM stats by state) by the Education Commission of the States
- Advocating for Science and STEM Education Created by BOSE Washington Partners for the National Science Teachers Association
- Full toolkit: STEM Learning Ecosystems Advocacy Toolkit from the STEM Education Coalition
primary public policy goals:
To educate SWE members about public policy happenings via posts on All Together, articles in SWE Magazine and sessions at the Annual Conference.
- To provide tools to participate in public policy.
- To have SWE volunteers engaged in public policy at the federal level.
- To educate other professional societies and policy makers on how Title IX can be applied to STEM fields.
SWE's priority is to lead the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and diversity communities to engage SWE members, other professional societies and policy makers on how Title IX can be applied to STEM fields.
Past Input from Congress
UPDATED (April, 2017)