The Outreach Committee’s Assessment Workgroup analyses and reports on SWE’s outreach efforts.
The Outreach Metric Tool (OMT) is a survey that collects STEM outreach events for pre-college
students and their adult advocates (parents/educators/scout leaders/etc.). The STEM events that should be logged in this survey directly impact pre-college students, parents, and educators to help them explore and understand engineering disciplines and careers.
What events should be submitted to the OMT?
Pre-college outreach events to be entered into the OMT include:
- Special engineering events planned, executed, and led by SWE member organizations OR led by a partner organization, such as an engineering society or industrial firm, where, for example, a SWE collegiate, professional, or MAL section, formally participated
- Individual pre-college outreach efforts of SWE members
Examples of events that should be entered into the OMT include:
- One- and half-day workshops
- Weekend engineering expos
- Mentoring pre-college students
- Weeklong engineering summer camps
- Individual meetings or formal talks given to pre-college students, parents, and/or educators by SWE members.
Examples of events that should NOT be entered into the OMT include:
- Events that have not yet occurred
- Preparatory activities leading up to an event, such as individual mentoring or planning meetings
- Smaller events occurring in a larger overall event
- Grant writing to fund special engineering events or outreach
The data you enter will be used internally by the Outreach Committee to set goals and make strategic decisions. The data will also be used externally with sponsors to show the impact of SWE members’ outreach. Many grants require the information collected via the OMT and we need accurate information to provide. For any questions on how to log your event into the OMT, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.