Charity KPABEP Scholarship Programme For Female Manufacturing Engineers And Technicians
Call For Student Applications
ABOUT CHARITY KPABEP SCHOLARSHIP
The Federal Ministry of Environment in collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is implementing the Charity KPABEP Scholarship programme for female engineers and technicians in Nigeria. This scholarship component forms part of the activities proposed for Nigeria’s Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) Phase-out Management Plan (HPMP) Stage III Project. The HPMP Stage III Project targets to phase out 17.13 Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) tonnes of HCFC-22 through a low Ozone Depleting Potential and low Global Warming Potential technologies-, as well as assist Nigeria in meeting the target of 67.5 per cent reduction in HCFC baseline consumption by 2025.
The Charity KPABEP Scholarship programme was approved by the Executive Committee (EXCOM) of the Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol in December 2022. It is intended to develop the potential of female technicians and engineers, and to create a group of experts and policymakers advocating for women employed in the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) manufacturing sector in Nigeria.
The Society of Women Engineers, Technologists and Scientists (SWETS) acts as the National Executing Agency, whose mission is to empower women to achieve their full potential in careers as engineers and leaders; expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.
Number of scholarships available: 30 Frequency of scholarship: Annual
Timeline: The scholarship is non-renewable and is available for the 2024 academic year
ELIGIBILITY: WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE KPABEP SCHOLARSHIP?
Identify as a woman
Be a Nigerian
Be below 40 years at the time of application
Currently enrolled in an accredited University, Polytechnic, or post secondary institution based in Nigeria.
Currently enrolled in a FULL TIME Certificate, Diploma, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctoral degree programme in Engineering sciences and Technology, or related
Applicants must be within the final two years of study
There is no minimum GPA requirement, however, candidates must maintain an good academic record.
Have a record of leadership and engagement in extracurricular activities
Commit to attending all scholarship engagement events, workshops, and trainings
Commit to completing an internship in a relevant company, organisation or institution within the period of the scholarship
Commit to writing quarterly progress reports, and an internship report
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
Charity Kpabep Scholarships includes:
A one-time maximum award of USD4000 (Paid in tranches to candidate’s institution and contingent on the successful completion of a training and internship on Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC))
A possible training on Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC)
A possible 1 – 3 months Internship with a company focused on Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC)
Free collegiate membership with the Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Access to mentors in the engineering field
HOW TO APPLY
Each applicant should fill out the application form https://forms.gle/FHwGz7zKcvwSeA1K8 and upload the required documents.
The application must be submitted in English Language only.
In addition to completing the application form, all applicants must upload the following documents. Kindly combine all documents in one pdf document with file size of 5mb maximum (Document name should be Last name_First name_UNIDO KPABEP 2023, for example Doe_Sara_UNIDO KPABEP 2023):
A 1000 word maximum Letter of motivation answering the following questions:
What motivated you to pursue this course of study?
What have been your most significant accomplishments till date?
How have you demonstrated leadership in your community or academic environment?
What are your long term career plans and how will this scholarship enable you to achieve them?
Letter from sponsor
A copy of your curriculum vitae/resume.
Academic transcripts detailing your most recent academic
Proof of enrolment in the current semester, if
Most recent academic certificate attained, if
Prior to the interview, shortlisted candidates will be required to submit:
Two reference letters being either
One academic and one professional reference letter, or
Two academic reference letters
A 500 word recommendation on “Reforms needed in the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) sector to support hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) Phase- out in Nigeria and promote the provisions of the Kigali Amendment”
APPLICATION TIMELINE FOR 2023
Application opens: 18th September 2023
Application closes: 31st December 2023
Reviews and shortlisting of selected candidates for interview: January 2024
Deadline for submission of reference letters: 28th February 2024
Interviews: February 2024
Award of scholarships: March 2024
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We apologise that we would not be able to give individual feedback on applications.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I apply for KPABEP scholarship before being accepted into a University? No, The KPABEP Scholarship is for only those already enrolled in a University/post secondary
- How do I know if I am eligible? See the eligibility criteria in the call for applications.
- How do I know if my university is recognised?You can use the World Higher Education Database to confirm “https://www.whed.net/home.php”. Note that your University must be based in Nigeria.
- Who can be my referee? Your referees should be people who can comment on your general suitability for the scholarship and should be known to you, either in an academic or professional capacity. They should not be a relative or close personal friend.
- What should my reference letter include?Referee contact details: address, email address, and phone number. How long your referee has known you, In what capacity does your referee know you (e.g. professional, educational, supervisory, voluntary, religious, etc.), A brief overall endorsement of the applicant, including their: Skills in leadership and networking, Personal, intellectual, and interpersonal qualities, Ability to complete the requirements of the KPABEP scholarship, and their suitability for the scholarship. For academic references, we highly recommend that your reference be faculty in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) field who is familiar with your academic work. You must provide Reference contact info by the applicant deadline.
- Can I fill the application form and submit the documents at a later date? It is advisable to prepare all documents before attempting to fill the application form. All required documents must be uploaded and submitted at the same time.
- Can I make changes to the application form after submitting? Once the application form is submitted. No changes can be made.
- How long before we know if we qualified for the KPABEP Scholarship? Keep an eye on your inbox/spam folder as that will be communicated as soon as possible once the application is closed.
For more information:
Prof. Rose-Margaret Ekeng-Itua
Chair, UNIDO CKSP4FMET Work Group
Advisor, Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Africa Advisory Board. email@example.com
Christiana Njar Obase
United Nations Industrial Development Organization C.OBASE@unido.org