Thank you for your interest in learning more about women in engineering and our members. Data requests about our members or requests to conduct research with our members require a formal request to SWE Headquarters.
SWE has developed an application process and survey guidelines to evaluate requests to conduct research with or obtain data from SWE members. The following applies to requests for research campaigns to SWE members. To protect SWE members from survey fatigue and to ensure a good response rate to official SWE research efforts, requests to conduct external research will be approved on a competitive basis.
Please note that SWE does not give out the email addresses of its members. If a survey request is approved, the survey will be promoted through SWE social media outlets and/or email blasts, upon agreement between SWE and the researcher prior to survey distribution.
All researchers must submit a completed application for consideration. SWE will review the application and respond within two weeks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application or the review process.
- Research proposals should be directly linked to SWE’s mission, which is to “empower women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.”
- Where applicable, the researcher is expected to obtain approval from their Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Participants (IRB).
- The research must be conducted in accordance with well-established research methods.
- The number, timing, method, and content of the research must not conflict with the SWE Strategic Plan, or negatively impact participants.
- Surveys should be as brief and to the point as possible. This will improve response and completion rates.
- The invitation to complete the survey should state the number of total questions and/or the anticipated completion time.
- The survey should include a question/function for respondents to decline participation in the survey if they do not feel qualified to respond to the survey.
If you would like to collaborate with SWE on a research study, collect survey data from our members, or request that SWE share a call for study participation, please fill out and submit the application found under Research Requests section above. If you are seeking data about our membership, such as member count by country, please submit this form to make your request to SWE Headquarters. SWE HQ does not share personal or contact information about its members with external parties. For Data Requests, SWE will consider requests for aggregate member data only.